Are you newly diagnosed with diabetes? Do you have questions about managing your diabetes? Let our team of diabetes experts help you or your loved ones learn how to manage diabetes and prevent complications!
What is Diabetes Education?
Diabetes Education, or Diabetes Self-Management Training (DSMT), is a comprehensive education and training program designed to help diabetics manage all aspects of their health. Topics covered include:
- Blood glucose testing
- Preventing short-term and long-term complications
- Medication guidance
- Food/eating education and guidance
- Foot care
- Physical activity recommendations
- Goal setting, coping and stress management
- Resources for ongoing support and assistance
A Team Approach
The interdisciplinary care team includes diabetes educators who are nurses and registered dietitians, as well as guest lecturers that may include pharmacists, physicians and exercise physiologists. Experts help develop individual plans of care in cooperation with the participants, their family and their primary care physicians. National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education are followed.
Diabetes Education Class Details
Our Diabetes Education Classes are held at both Shady Grove Adventist and Washington Adventist Hospitals. Group classes are held for 3 sessions, 3 hours each session. Before the first class, participants will schedule a one-on-one visit with an educator for an introductory session.
PLEASE NOTE: Individual sessions and Insulin instruction are available if needed. Please contact us for details:
Shady Grove Adventist Hospital: 301-315-3129
Washington Adventist Hospital: 301-891-6105
Pregnancy & Diabetes
Women who have diabetes while pregnant have special needs. A diabetes educator conducts this program providing information on proper nutrition and blood glucose control for pregnant women.
- Medicare Part B covers 80% of the approved cost for 10 hours of DSMT (9 in a group setting, 1 individual).
- For other insurers (Blue Cross, Aetna, United, etc.) please check with your health insurance plan to see if your benefits cover Diabetes Education services. We can assist you with this process.
- All patients must have a referral before starting classes or coming for their individual session. We can obtain this on your behalf, or if you plan to get this from your doctor, please contact us so that we can provide you with the correct form.