Shady Grove Adventist Hospital’s clinical expertise in lung cancer care provides comprehensive services ranging from preventive care and diagnosis to pre-treatment evaluation, staging, treatment, rehabilitation and post-treatment monitoring.
Lung Cancer Services
Our integrated cancer team works with each patient upon diagnosis to tailor treatments and individualize care plans. These include:
Your Cancer Team
A multidisciplinary team of experts works together to deliver comprehensive, coordinated cancer care. Your cancer care team includes:
- Thoracic surgeons
- Medical oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
- Interventional radiologists
- Oncology nurses
- Cancer Care Navigation team, including:
This team meets once a month for a lung cancer conference to work together to ensure the best course of care and best possible outcomes for each patient.
Find a cancer specialist at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.
A Comprehensive Approach to Lung Nodules
Lung nodules are small masses of tissue in the lung. It is important to monitor nodules for any changes in size or appearance. Having specialists review and monitor lung nodules helps prevent unnecessary surgery, identify cancerous nodules and determine necessary follow-up testing or surveillance.
Lung Nodule Review Team
Shady Grove Adventist Hospital has a multi-disciplinary Lung Nodule Review Team that consists of radiologists, pulmonologists, thoracic surgeons and medical oncologists. This group meets monthly to review chest CT scans with lung abnormalities.
About Lung Cancer
Lung cancer is the second most common cancer in men and women and the leading cause of cancer death among men and women. (American Cancer Society)
- About 80% of lung cancer deaths are thought to result from smoking. (ACS)
- Overall, the chance that a man will develop lung cancer in his lifetime is about 1 in 13; for a woman, the risk is about 1 in 16. These numbers include both smokers and non-smokers. (ACS)
- The risk of getting lung cancer increases with age, with the average age of diagnosis at 71 years. (ACS)
Shady Grove Adventist Hospital offers a low-dose CT lung cancer screening program. Please call 240-826-6297 for screening dates.
- The National Lung Screening Trial (NLST) found that people who had low-dose CT had a 20% lower chance of dying from lung cancer then those who had chest x-rays. (ACS)
There are two main types of lung cancer: small cell lung cancer and non-small cell lung cancer. Shady Grove Adventist Hospital’s lung cancer diagnostic services include:
- Chest X-Ray
- CT Scan
- Lung Biopsy
Cancer is a life-changing diagnosis. Shady Grove Adventist Hospital is here to help “navigate” the cancer journey, from diagnosis and treatment to survivorship.
Cancer Care Navigation Team
Every cancer patient will have access to our navigation team, including a lung nurse navigator, an oncology dietitian and a social worker.
Fatu Fofana, RN, BSN, is our Thoracic Cancer Nurse Navigator. Fatu serves as a liaison between patients and their care team. She provides education and counseling to patients and families as well as acting as a patient advocate throughout the journey from diagnosis to survivorship.
Call our Cancer Care Call Line at 240-826-6297 if you or your loved ones need resources, information, nutrition counseling, psychosocial support or other services. The cancer care navigation team is available to provide support and assistance.
- For information about smoking cessation and classes, call our Health & Wellness Department at 301-315-3132 or 800-542-5096.