Volunteer at Washington Adventist
Imagine the possibilities to transform your community by serving the diverse population at Washington Adventist Hospital. You have the chance to uplift, change, and impact the lives of the patients and guests that pass through our doors. "Each of us has the power to achieve great things in our community. Every day our volunteers share their strength with those who need assistance, inspiration and motivation," said Joyce Newmyer, President of Washington Adventist Hospital. "We're very grateful for the commitment of our volunteers who provided more than 30,000 hours of service in 68 areas during 20013."
Volunteers are currently needed to fulfill our mission to "demonstrate God's care by improving the health of people and communities through a ministry of physical, mental and spiritual healing." Hospital volunteerism offers great variety and is not just for the medically-minded. Volunteers work in a multitude of departments and are determined by skill set, availability, and experience.
Volunteers are accepted at a minimum of 15 years old and may be placed in one of the following capacities:
- Patient Care - Volunteers with an interest in the medical field may be especially interested to work around patients or assisting techs. Some examples include Transport, Post Anesthesia Care Unit, and several Medical/Surgical units. No previous training is required and spaces are limited. Note: Volunteers are not allowed to draw blood, take vital signs or complete clinical internships through our program.
- Office/Clerical Support - Our greatest demand is the need for assistance in filing, paperwork, phones, and other tasks necessary to maintaining an efficient hospital. Work is often stationary and requires strong English proficiency skills.
- Guest Relations - Patients are our first priority and volunteers are needed in the guest relations division. Strong interpersonal skills are required. Placement in guest relations can vary, but may include Information Desk, Surgical waiting rooms or as a Patient Navigator in the Emergency Department.
- Mended Hearts - Are you interested in volunteering with cardiac patients? Have you undergone complex heart surgery yourself? Consider working as a Mended Hearts Volunteer in the Washington Adventist Hospital Chapter.
- Experience the healthcare environment
- Learn a new skill and gain work experience
- Share your expertise
- Stay active and involved
- Reach out to those in need
- Have fun and meet new people
- Join a network of fellow volunteers
- Make a difference in the lives of others
- Explore your abilities by trying new activities
To be considered for volunteer opportunities at Washington Adventist Hospital, please download the application below, complete in entirety and return it via mail or in person to:
If you are an appropriate candidate, we will contact you to schedule an interview information session. Should you have any questions about the status of your application, please contact the office of Volunteers at 301-891-5444.
In addition, be prepared to complete the following steps as part of your approval into our program:
- Attend a 1-hour interview information session
- Have proof of a recent TB test or Chest X-ray (within last 6 months) or agree to receive a current TB Skin Test
- Attend a 4-hour orientation class
- Purchase a uniform jacket
- Meet with your assigned department supervisor