The Adventist HealthCare Lucy Byard Scholarship
The Lucy Byard Scholarship was created to honor the legacy of Lucy Byard and to reaffirm Adventist HealthCare’s commitment to treat all people with respect and dignity. The scholarship will provide needed funding to gifted nursing students of limited financial means. In this way, Adventist HealthCare will contribute to the greater effort to close the health-disparities and economic-inequity gaps among people of color. Adventist HealthCare advances efforts to ensure equity in educational opportunity that prepares students for success in school, work and life.
About the Scholarship
The Lucy Byard Scholarship is a needs-based and merit scholarship for outstanding and qualified students. All qualified candidates are welcome to apply, but priority will be given to people of color pursuing undergraduate nursing education.
In this inaugural year, The Lucy Byard Scholarship will be accepting applications from January 1 – April 29. In subsequent years, applications will be accepted November 1 – March 31. No applications will be accepted after the deadline.
Prior to initiating an application, please review the application requirements, eligibility criteria and deadlines. All applicants must have:
- Successfully completed, or are completing, your sophomore year at an accredited bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) program in the United States
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Family income threshold of $70,000 or less -- proof of financial eligibility is required. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) serves that purpose. That form can be found by visiting https://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa/filling-out
Submit a Personal Profile, which includes:
- Cover letter
- Copy of official school transcript
- Essay, 800-1000 words, to include: Tell us your story. Why do you want to be a nurse? What drives you? What are your values? Include personal experiences that led you to nursing, challenges you’ve overcome along the way, and how nursing will help you be the person you want to be.
- Two recommendations required:
- Nursing professor/instructor
- Personal recommendation. Can be clergy, community leader, teacher, or former employer. No family members.
Choose references who have firsthand experience with the quality of your work and professionalism. Get permission to share their contact information and let them know we will contact them by email or phone.
Please provide the following contact information for those providing recommendations: name, title/position, address, email address and phone numbers.
Scholarship Award Notification
Scholarship recipients will be notified by email and personal phone call in early May.