Apply to the Nurse Externship
Apply to the Student Nurse Externship at Adventist HealthCare. Follow guidelines and tips that can make you a competitive candidate.
You may be right for the externship if you:
- Attend an accredited bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) program and have successfully completed your junior year
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have completed at least one medical-surgical rotation
- Have computer skills
- Hold American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) for Professionals certification
You may not have:
- An RN license
- Current or prior employment obligations that will prevent you from fulfilling the externship program responsibilities
- Previous work experience as an RN or LPN
When & How to Apply
Check for job postings using the search phrase “EXTERNSHIP” and apply online as early as possible Jan. 9 through Feb. 10. Learn more details about the externship by reading the job posting.
Submit a Professional Portfolio
After your application is complete, send your:
- Cover letter
- Resume, which should include your education and professional experiences with dates of study, graduation and employment
Follow the instructions on the externship job posting to submit the professional portfolio online.
Writing Your Cover Letter
Write about all of the broader specialties you’re interested in, such as:
- Acute care (medical-surgical)
- Intensive/critical care
- Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)
- Operating room (OR)
- Progressive care
You’ll get an email from SkillSurvey, a reference checking tool. Submit your references’ contact information to SkillSurvey. You may ask for references from:
- Employers or supervisors
- One peer at most
- Professors, instructors, coaches and mentors
Tell your references to expect a quick, easy and anonymous online survey about your skills. They should complete the survey as soon as possible.
Externship Application Deadline
Your online application, professional portfolio and references are due Feb. 19.
You may be one of the 50 percent of applicants we ask to interview. If so, you’ll receive a link to record a video interview, which you must complete by March 1.
Interview Preparation Tips
Stand out by:
- Researching Adventist HealthCare
- Reviewing your work, learning and volunteer experiences
- Connecting past career and school accomplishments with how you’ll meet the needs of Adventist HealthCare
Learn if you’ll be a nurse extern by March 15.