Advance your career through the Postgraduate Year One (PGY-1) Pharmacy Residency Program at Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center in Rockville, Maryland.
Our ASHP-accredited PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency program is designed to build on Doctor of Pharmacy education and outcomes. You’ll learn skills to care for patients in various pharmacy settings.
Benefits of the Program
The program helps develop clinical pharmacists who are responsible for the medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions and who are eligible for applying for board certification and postgraduate year two (PGY-2) pharmacy residency training.
You’ll also be able to:
- Provide pharmaceutical care in various environments
- Become integral member of the multi-disciplinary health care team who is responsible for drug therapy outcomes
- Conduct practice with a high level of maturity and leadership
- Develop a personal plan for professional development
- Do practice-related research
- Teach other professionals and patients about drugs
Get firsthand experience applying your knowledge to patient care while you work as part of a multidisciplinary healthcare team. Following an orientation rotation, participants will complete these rotations:
Take part in required rotations that cover:
- Adult internal medicine
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Critical care
- Maternal medicine and neonatal intensive care (NICU)
Choose from rotations in:
- Advanced critical care
- Clinical informatics
- Emergency medicine
- Behavioral health
Over the course of the program, you’ll have opportunities to take part in:
- Journal club
- Medication safety/medication usage evaluation
- Newsletter writing
- Research project
In addition to your clinical duties, you’ll staff Shady Grove Medical Center’s central pharmacy one weekday evening for an eight-hour shift every other week. You’ll also work every other weekend.
Connect and network with peers and other professionals at:
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Eastern States Residency Conference
Certificate Programs Available
Work towards optional OR required certification in:
- Teaching Certificate Program at the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS).