Published on April 20, 2022
Adding a Tower Brings Back Memories
Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center’s new tower construction calls to mind our first tower expansion project, which took place from 2005-2009.
Did you know:
- The first tower added to Shady Grove is called the Garden Tower because it is home to the Barbara Truland-Butz Healing Garden. The garden, which can be accessed off the Unit 2C lounge, was funded with gifts to the Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center Foundation.
- Groundbreaking for the original tower took place on April 21, 2005.
- The four-story tower is now home to surgical services, the Birth Center, and four medical/surgical units. Like the current tower construction project, the first tower also included upgrades to our Emergency Department.
- The first tower added 207,000 square feet and 144 new private patient beds to Shady Grove.
- The Garden Tower opened in phases, starting with the 48-bed Mother/Baby Unit on Nov. 19, 2007
- Next came the 100,000-square-foot Surgery Department with 16 operating rooms.
- The final phase modernized 52,000 square feet of existing hospital space. Work was complete in 2009.