Healthy Eating Habits for National Nutrition Month
March is National Nutrition Month! This month, everyone is invited to learn about making informed food choices to develop healthy eating habits. Michelle Guanrinieri, dietician with CoreLife Adventist HealthCare shares a few tips on how we can improve our nutrition and health.
WGTS 91.9 Health Minute: Healthy Eating
Making Informed Food Choices
Set yourself up for success when it comes to healthy eating by making a plan. Some healthy tips we can follow to eat a variety of nutritious food every day include:
● Be mindful of what you eat and include healthful foods from all food groups, especially fruits and vegetables.
● Learn how to read nutrition labels.
● Plan out healthy recipes to make during the week.
● Use a grocery list to shop for healthy foods to keep on hand.
● Don’t be afraid to try new things.
● Be menu-savvy when dining out.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition and health. We are all unique with different bodies, goals, backgrounds and tastes. It’s important to tailor a plan that works for you. A registered dietician can help you create a plan for your personal goals.
Affordable Ways to Eat Healthy
Eating healthy doesn’t have to be expensive. There are ways to make healthy choices a budget. For affordable healthy eating, we suggest:
● Buying healthful items on sale or in bulk. Make sure you have proper storage so it doesn’t spoil.
● Joining your local store’s rewards program and taking advantage of coupons.
● Shopping seasonally for various produce.