Healthy Muffins from Your Orchard Haul
Apple-picking season has arrived! Our registered dietitians at CoreLife Adventist HealthCare love these apple muffins.
They are packed with flavor and are a great way to use extra seasonal apples. Whole-wheat flour and natural sugars make them a healthy choice for breakfast or a snack.
Healthy Apple Muffins
- 1¾ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 cup apple, diced into ¼ inch cubes
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing muffin tins
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Blend well with a whisk. Add the grated apple (if it is dripping wet, gently squeeze it over the sink to release some extra moisture) and chopped apple. Stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil and maple syrup and beat together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then add the yogurt, applesauce and vanilla and mix well. If the coconut oil solidifies in contact with cold ingredients, gently warm the mixture in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until the oil liquefies.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until combined. A few lumps are to be expected.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with raw sugar.
- Bake muffins for 13 to 16 minutes or until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool. If you have leftover muffins, store them covered and at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze leftover muffins
for up to 3 months.