Kale & Quinoa Salad Recipe
Lunch can be both delicious, and heart healthy! Try this yummy winter kale and quinoa salad for a healthy meal that doesn’t skimp flavor.
KALE AND QUINOA SALAD
“This salad is heart-healthy with all its unsaturated fats and fiber from all the leafy greens and whole grains,” says Elizabeth Bilodeau, registered dietitian with Adventist HealthCare.
Source: Eat Yourself Skinny blog.
FOR THE SALAD:
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
FOR THE DRESSING:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make the quinoa, add ½ cup of water to a small saucepan and add quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer for about 13 minutes. Remove from heat, keeping quinoa covered, and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes then fluff quinoa with a fork.
- In a large bowl, mix together the kale, quinoa, pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries and walnuts.
- To make the dressing, whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss together until evenly coated. Top with additional pomegranates, cranberries and walnuts as desired, serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: ⅙ recipe
- Calories Per Serving: 276
- Total Fat: 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 4.4 g
- Sugars: 8.5 g
*Note: Nutrition facts may vary depending on optional ingredients used, brand variation and food preparation.