Spicy Apple-Buckwheat Muffins Recipe
Been apple picking recently and don’t know what to do with all those apples? Try these heart-healthy, tasty Spicy Apple Buckwheat muffins!
Many apple recipes like pie contain lots of sugar and fat, which can harm your heart if eaten in excess. These muffins use less oil and sugar than traditional muffins and the buckwheat groats boost the fiber and protein for a more filling, nutritious snack.
Tip: If you can’t find buckwheat groats in the store — try asking for kasha.
SPICY APPLE-BUCKWHEAT MUFFINS
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup finely ground roasted buckwheat groats (kasha)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking sodea
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup finely chopped, peeled apples
- Grease a 2 1/2-inch muffin pans or line with paper bake cups; set aside. In a mixing bowl, pour the apple cider or the apple juice over the buckwheat groats. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add egg and cooking oil to groats; mix well. Stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Add to buckwheat mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in finely chopped apples.
- Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Serving size: 1 muffin
- 176 calories
- 5 g fat
- 2 g fiber
- 29 g carbohydrates
- 3 g protein
- 9 g sugar
- 200 mg sodium
Source: Diabetic Living