Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna for One Recipe
Cooking for one can be challenging — but that doesn’t mean you should go for the fast food instead! This heart-healthy vegetarian zucchini lasagna cooked in a mug with just five ingredients.
“Lentils are typically known for their great source of plant-based protein and fiber but they also have many essential micronutrients,” said Sheila Mulhern, RD, a dietitian for Adventist HealthCare. “Folate, manganese, phosphorus are just a few, which help with keeping a healthy blood pressure. Lentils also keep you feeling full and can lower cholesterol to protect your heart. The zucchini is a great way to get in your daily serving of veggies and to bulk up the recipe without adding lots of extra calories.”
VEGETARIAN ZUCCHINI LASAGNA FOR ONE
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2-cup jarred tomato sauce
- ½ cup cooked brown lentils
- 1/2-cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Thinly slice zucchini into ⅛-inch-thick coins. Arrange slices on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 90 seconds. Remove plate from microwave and pat zucchini coins dry with a clean paper towel. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine tomato sauce and cooked lentils. In a separate mixing bowl, combine ricotta and two tablespoons mozzarella. Set both aside. In a microwave-safe mug, layer zucchini coins in a circular pattern. Top with one tablespoon cheese mixture, spreading evenly. Top cheese mixture with two tablespoons lentil sauce.
- Repeat layering zucchini, cheese and sauce until mug is almost full, then top with remaining mozzarella. Cover mug with a clean paper towel and microwave on high for 90 seconds, until cheese is melted. Remove from microwave and let cool two minutes before serving.
- Calories: 297
- Total Fat: 11 g
- Carbs: 29 g
- Sugars: 6 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Potassium: 1110 mg