We Moved to White Oak Medical Center!
Have you heard? We moved! Adventist HealthCare Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park has closed permanently.
White Oak Medical Center, our new hospital, is now open. The new hospital is located at 11890 Healing Way, Silver Spring, MD 20904, just off Route 29 at the intersection of Plum Orchard and Cherry Hill Road behind Target.
A 24/7 Adventist HealthCare Urgent Care for minor illness and injury is now open on the Takoma Park campus in the former Washington Adventist Hospital Emergency Department.
Get immediate care from trusted doctors at Adventist HealthCare in the setting that meets your needs. Choose between urgent care and the emergency room (ER) based on the seriousness of your medical condition. If you are having a medical emergency, always remember to call 9-1-1 and emergency services will transport you to the nearest emergency department.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following FAQs have been provided to answer many of your questions about the closing of Washington Adventist Hospital. After reviewing, if you have further questions please contact us online.
How will the move affect the community the hospital currently serves?
- We will continue to serve the same community that we currently serve in Takoma Park and surrounding areas from our new location in White Oak, just six miles away
- Our community will have access to a new state-of-the-art hospital campus with new medical equipment, 180 all-private patient rooms, easier access from major roadways and ample parking
- The hospital will offer the community a space for wellness and relaxation with several outdoor courtyards and gardens and a walking path around the lake behind the hospital
- The new location will be easier to access from major roadways for many people in our service area and EMS providers.
- We will also continue to serve Takoma Park with a 24-hour urgent care center in the former Washington Adventist Hospital Emergency Department.
What services will White Oak Medical Center have?
Count on White Oak Medical Center to be your new medical destination for all your healthcare needs. All of our acute care services – everything you’d think of in a hospital – will move with us. Our services include Pregnancy Care & Birth, Heart & Vascular Care, Cancer Care, Orthopedic Care, Emergency Care, Surgery, Radiology & Diagnostic Imaging, and Laboratory & Diagnostic Testing.
There will also be a number of outpatient services and doctor’s offices in the Medical Pavilion connected to the hospital, opening in 2020.
Will the doctor I see at Washington Adventist Hospital move to White Oak?
- Please check with your doctor’s office directly.
- If you see a doctor on the Takoma Park campus who is part of Adventist Medical Group, your doctor’s office will move to the Medical Pavilion in White Oak when it opens in 2020.
Will there be an Emergency Room at the new hospital?
Yes – we will have an Emergency Department with all-private patient rooms at Adventist HealthCare White Oak Medical Center.
Will my patient room be private?
Yes, patients of the new White Oak Medical Center will enjoy one of our 180 private rooms featuring large windows that will provide natural light and landscape views that contribute to healing, and ample space for visitors.
Will Mental Health services move too?
Yes, our Behavioral Health unit will open in late 2019, with a portion of the behavioral health beds moving to our sister hospital, Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center.
Will there be public transportation to the new hospital?
Yes, both Metrobus and Ride-On have routes that will service White Oak Medical Center. Additionally, Montgomery County and the state of Maryland are committed to implementing Bus Rapid Transit system along Rte. 29, which will further improve access to our hospital and the White Oak area. To find a route visit, WMATA.com/TripPlanner.
Will there be parking?
Yes, the White Oak Medical Center campus will include a large parking garage with more than 1,000 spaces for patients, visitors and hospital staff. Additionally, there will be a surface lot at the Emergency Department entrance for emergency patients. There will be a fee for parking.
What other features does this new location offer?
The new campus is situated on 48 acres in the White Oak area of Silver Spring. Patients, visitors and staff will take in natural surroundings and fresh air from several outdoor courtyards including a green roof and our cafeteria which opens onto a lakeside terrace.
Our outdoor walking trail around the lake at White Oak Medical Center will provide a fitness and wellness area for our visitors and community.
Will there be opportunity for new jobs?
Yes, although our current hospital employees will move with us to the new hospital, there will be numerous job opportunities. To search and apply for jobs, visit: Jobs.AdventistHealthCare.com.
How can I get involved and/or support the new hospital?
Our non-profit foundation that supports our hospital is working to raise funds to benefit the new White Oak Medical Center. If you’d like to make a charitable gift, please visit the White Oak Medical Center Foundation.
How can I volunteer at White Oak Medical Center?
To be considered for volunteer opportunities at White Oak Medical Center, please complete the volunteer application.
What will I find at the Takoma Park campus?
Adventist HealthCare will continue to serve Takoma Park and surrounding communities with a 24-hour urgent care center on the Takoma Park campus.
We are also working with Washington Adventist University who is interested in purchasing the Takoma Park property.
Some healthcare services will remain on campus for a period of time. The 42-bed inpatient rehabilitation hospital on the 5th floor of the Takoma Park hospital will remain until two additional floors are added to the White Oak facility, with completion expected in summer 2020.
Radiation Oncology, cardiac rehab, some physician offices, and some administration support services such as Human Resources, will remain on the Takoma Park campus until the Medical Pavilion at White Oak, adjoined to the hospital, is completed in spring 2020.
What if I live in Takoma Park and have a medical emergency?
- If you think you are having a heart attack or another serious medical emergency, you should always call 911.
- We will operate a 24-hour urgent care center in Takoma Park for minor illness and injuries.
- We have been working and continue to work with local EMS providers to ensure they are able to quickly and safely transport patients to the nearest Emergency Department once we move.
- Montgomery County has added a medic unit to the Takoma Park Fire/EMS station to better serve patients experiences medical emergencies in the Takoma Park community.
What type of illness and injuries can be treated at the urgent care in Takoma Park?
- The urgent care will treat non-life-threatening injuries and minor illnesses like common viruses, infections, stomach & digestive conditions, orthopedic injuries, asthma, allergies, and common skin conditions.
- Like our other urgent care centers in the area, on-site x-rays and lab services will also be available.
Will parts of the Takoma Park building be closed to the public?
Yes, much of the building will be closed to the public. The community will have access to:
- Urgent Care located in the former Emergency Department
- Adventist HealthCare Rehabilitation located on the 5th floor of Washington Adventist Hospital
- Maternity clinic located in the Conference Center
- Physician offices at 7901 Maple Ave., and in the Professional Building
Adventist HealthCare, an integrated, health-care delivery organization based in Gaithersburg, Maryland, is one of the largest employers in the state of Maryland. The mission of Adventist HealthCare is to extend God’s care through the ministry of physical, mental and spiritual healing. Adventist HealthCare includes Shady Grove Medical Center, White Oak Medical Center, Adventist HealthCare Rehabilitation, Adventist HealthCare Home Care Services, The Lourie Center for Children’s Social & Emotional Wellness and Young Children, and numerous outpatient and physician offices. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.