Learn and make healthy lifestyle choices that lessen your risk of cancer with help from Adventist HealthCare.
Primary Care Checkups
Visit your primary care provider on a schedule your doctor recommends. During checkups, you’ll talk about:
- Cancer screening tests that may be right for you based on your age, family history or other factors
- Healthy habits
- Medicines or vaccines that help prevent certain types of cancer
- Symptoms that could be a sign of cancer
- Your personal risk factors for cancer and other health conditions
Healthy Lifestyle Choices
Lower your risk of cancer by:
- Drinking alcohol in moderation or not at all
- Eating a nutritious, high-fiber diet with vegetables, fruits, whole grains and lean sources of protein
- Exercising often
- Reaching and staying at a healthy weight
- Using sunscreen and avoiding too much sun exposure
Tobacco Cessation Program
If you smoke or use tobacco, quitting lowers your risk for many health problems, including cancer. Get help to quit, including one-on-one counseling over the phone and free nicotine replacement therapy.
Cancer Risk Factors
Risk factors may increase your chances of cancer. But not everyone with risk factors will develop cancer. Some people without any risk factors may still develop cancer.
Risk factors include: