At Adventist HealthCare, you’ll find board-certified surgeons who use the latest evidence-based techniques to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer through surgery.
Types of Cancer Surgery
Your doctor may recommend your cancer care plan include one or more of these surgeries:
- Preventive surgery – Removes tissue that could become cancerous, such as colon polyps (lumps) or breast tissue in women with a family history of breast cancer
- Diagnostic surgery – Takes a sample of tissue from the body for testing, or biopsy
- Staging surgery – Removes tissue samples and sometimes lymph nodes to see how far cancer has spread in the body
- Curative surgery – Removes tumors and may be done along with radiation therapy or chemotherapy
- Reconstructive surgery – Restores the appearance or function of part of your body after cancer treatment
Minimally Invasive Options
Whenever possible, your cancer surgeon at Adventist HealthCare will do your procedure using minimally invasive techniques. This means you’ll have less pain and scarring and a faster recovery.
Depending on your procedure, your surgeon may use the da Vinci Surgical System. This technology makes tiny incisions and uses small, robotic tools that are more precise than human hands alone.
What to Expect
Your surgery will take place in an operating room where your skilled team will use the latest technology to help you reach the best outcome. Maryland’s top surgeons and compassionate nurses will help ensure your comfort and safety before, during and after your procedure.