Find skilled, gentle dental care at an Adventist HealthCare location near you in Maryland.
Dental Problems We Treat
Keep your smile healthy and beautiful with comprehensive dental care for your teeth, gums, and jaw. Rely on the dentistry experts at Adventist HealthCare to treat:
- Bite problems or crooked teeth
- Bruxism – The unconscious act of grinding the teeth
- Canker sores – Shallow sore shaped like a crater on your tongue or the inside of your lip or cheek that may cause pain when talking or eating.
- Cavities – Tooth decay damage that happens when germs in your mouth create acids that eat a hole in the tooth.
- Cleft lip – Treatable birth defect of the mouth that appears as one or more splits in the upper lip.
- Cleft palate - Treatable birth defect of the mouth that appears as one or more splits in the roof of the mouth and lip.
- Cold sores – Groups of small blisters on the lip and around the mouth that are often red, swollen, and sore.
- Dry socket – Painful inflammation that can develop in an open tooth socket after a tooth has been removed.
- Gingivitis – Gum disease that occurs when plaque builds up on the teeth causing swollen gums.
- Halitosis – Bad smelling breath.
- Oral cancer – Growth of abnormal cells in any part of the mouth or lips.
- Periodontitis – Advanced gum disease that causes the gums to pull away from the teeth, leaving deep pockets where plaque and bacteria build up.
- Temporomandibular disorders (TMD) – Problems with the jaw that cause pain in and around the jaw joints. Symptoms may occur when you talk, chew, swallow or yawn.
- Toothaches – Pain or sensitivity in or around a tooth.
- Wisdom tooth problems – Teeth that come in between the ages of 17-21 that may cause problems to the structure of jaw and need to be removed.
Expect your dentist to work closely with other members of your oral care team. Depending on your condition and symptoms, your doctors may recommend:
- Dental X-Rays – Imaging test that takes pictures of the teeth, bones and soft tissue around the mouth to help find problems with the teeth, mouth, or jaw.
- Mouth Guard – Device worn to protect the mouth and teeth.
- Salivary Gland Scan – The use of a special camera to take pictures of the salivary glands in efforts to find the cause of dry mouth or gland swelling.
Trust your dentist to teach you about brush and flossing correctly, and to recommend a hygiene schedule you can follow.