Diabetes Care & Endocrinology
Choose Adventist HealthCare for complete endocrinology care, including treatment for all types of diabetes.
What’s an Endocrinologist?
An endocrinologist is a doctor who diagnoses and treats conditions that affect the endocrine system – the organs and glands that make hormones.
What’s the Endocrine System?
Your endocrine system includes:
- Adrenal glands – Glands on top of each kidney that make hormones that affect metabolism (how your body uses food as energy), the body’s response to stress, the immune system and sexual development
- Hypothalamus – Part of the brain that controls the release of hormones
- Pancreas – Organ that makes insulin, a hormone your body needs for healthy blood sugar
- Pineal gland – Gland in the brain that makes melatonin, a sleep-related hormone
- Pituitary gland – Gland in the brain that produces hormones that affect multiple functions in the body
- Reproductive organs (ovaries in women and testes in men) – Parts of the body that produce sex hormones
- Thyroid gland and parathyroids – Glands in the neck that make hormones to control the level of calcium in the blood and how your body uses food to make energy
Do I Need a Specialist?
If you have symptoms of an endocrine condition, your primary care provider may refer you to an endocrinologist at Adventist HealthCare. Your endocrinologist may do certain diagnostic tests, such as a blood test, ultrasound scan or biopsy.
Conditions We Treat
Get expert care for:
- Adrenal gland disorders, such as Addison’s disease (adrenal insufficiency) or Cushing’s syndrome
- Bone loss (osteoporosis)
- Diabetes, including prediabetes, Type I diabetes, Type II diabetes, and diabetes that happens during pregnancy (gestational diabetes)
- Pituitary gland disorders, including acromegaly, galactorrhea and hypopituitarism
- Reproductive concerns, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and erectile dysfunction (ED)
- Thyroid conditions, including hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism and thyroid cancer
Care for Multiple Health Problems
Feel confident you’ll get high-quality services because our doctors have experience treating co-occurring conditions. This means if you have two or more health concerns, we’ll provide comprehensive, whole-person care.
Your Options for Care
Your treatment plan depends on the type of condition you have and other factors. Your doctor may recommend:
- Lifestyle changes, such as following a specific diet or exercise program
- Medications, like hormone replacement therapy
Diabetes Treatment & Education
Explore diabetes treatments available at Adventist HealthCare. You’ll appreciate the learning and support you’ll receive thanks to our Diabetes Education Program.