Digestive Health Treatments
At Adventist HealthCare, you’ll find some of the most advanced digestive health treatments available. Our multidisciplinary team of specialists is skilled in using the latest tools to care for complex gastrointestinal disorders, so you can start feeling like yourself again.
Minimally Invasive Gastrointestinal Treatments
Whenever possible, your doctor at Adventist HealthCare will treat your digestive system using a minimally invasive technique that reduces pain, scarring and recovery time. Your physician may recommend one of these minimally invasive treatments.
Laparoscopic & Robot-Assisted Colorectal Surgery
If you need a colorectal procedure, including bowel resection or colectomy, choose Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center. Our surgeons perform more than 95 percent of elective colon and rectal surgeries using minimally invasive techniques, such as laparoscopy and robot-assisted surgery. Nationally, less than half of colon and rectal surgeries are performed this way.
Interventional Radiology Treatments
Interventional radiology procedures require only tiny incisions and use images to guide very thin medical tools through your body. Take advantage of:
- Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (BRTO) – Stops or prevents bleeding from large, swollen veins (varices) in your stomach
- Biliary drainage – Lets a fluid called bile flow out of narrowed or blocked ducts in your liver
- Biliary stenting – Keeps open narrowed bile ducts
- Chemoembolization – Delivers chemotherapy directly to a liver tumor and blocks the blood supply it needs to grow
- Cholecystostomy tube placement - Puts a tube into your gallbladder for drainage
- Gastric-jejunal (G-J) tube placement – Puts a tube into your stomach and small intestine for feeding, air or drainage
- Liver biopsy (Transjugular/Percutaneous) - Removes a small piece of liver tissue so it can be examined for signs of damage or disease
- Microwave ablation – Uses electromagnetic waves to destroy liver tumors
- Paracentesis – Removes excess fluid from your abdomen
- Partial splenic embolization – Shrinks an enlarged spleen by reducing its blood supply
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) – Makes new connections between blood vessels in your liver to help blood flow through it more easily
If you’re a candidate for bariatric surgery, or weight-loss surgery, you may qualify for a minimally invasive approach that speeds your recovery. You can trust us to help you experience the best possible outcome and reduce the odds of complications of any bariatric surgical procedure you receive. That’s because Shady Grove Medical Center’s bariatric surgery program is accredited by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ABMS).
Digestive Health Surgical Services
When surgery is your best treatment option, a board-certified surgeon will work closely with you and your physician to provide seamless, coordinated care. At Shady Grove Medical Center, you have around-the-clock access to surgical hospitalists (hospital doctors who specialize in surgery), so you can get your procedure as soon as you need it.
Endoscopic Gastrointestinal Treatments
Shady Grove Medical Center is one of Maryland’s few hospitals that can treat gastrointestinal disorders using either surgery or endoscopic procedures (which pass a long, thin tube into your body). That means you can stay close to home while benefiting from endoscopic treatments such as:
- ERCP – Inserts tiny medical tools through an endoscope to remove gallstones, open narrowed bile ducts or perform other procedures
- Radiofrequency ablation – Eliminates abnormal tissue to treat Barrett’s esophagus