If you or a loved one are a senior or you have a health condition that increases your risk for falling, the professionals at Adventist HealthCare can help you live safely at home.
Risk Factors for Falls
A fall or other injury may be more likely due to:
- Alcohol or drug use
- Certain medications, especially if you take several or have side effects
- Chronic conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, dementia, stroke or osteoporosis
- Decreased strength, flexibility, reflexes or coordination
- Previous falls
- Vision or hearing problems
Home Safety Services
Trust our experts to check your home and give recommendations on how to make it as safe as possible. Your provider can help you:
- Avoid hazards such as uneven walkways, step stools or loose rugs.
- Change the height of your bed to make it easier to get in and out of.
- Choose safer clothing and nonskid, supportive shoes.
- Get vision and hearing exams.
- Identify safety equipment to add to your bathroom.
- Life safely with pets.
- Make your home well-lit with lights that are easy to reach and nightlights.
- Review your current medications with your primary care doctor or pharmacist to make sure your medications are as safe and effective as possible.