Partner with doctors at Adventist HealthCare who specialize in kidney care. Benefit from expert care close to you in Maryland.
What is Kidney Care?
Kidney care, or nephrology, is the branch of medicine that deals with the physiology and diseases of the kidneys. Nephrologists are doctors with specialized training to treat diseases of or related to the kidney.
Rely on the kidney care experts at Adventist HealthCare to treat conditions including:
- Glomerulonephritis – inflammation of the kidney’s blood filters
- Hematuria – blood in urine
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome – a condition causing the destruction of red blood cells, clogging the kidney’s filter
- Henoch-Scholein purpura (HSP) – a disorder causing inflammation and bleeding in the small blood vessels within the skin, joints, intestines and kidneys
- Hypercalcemia – a condition causing extra calcium levels in the blood
- Hyponatremia – when the concentration of sodium within the blood is low
- Hypertension – high blood pressure
- Kidney disease (renal failure) – when the kidneys shut down and are not removing waste and fluid from the body properly
- Kidney infection – when bacteria travels up the bladder to the ureters and infects the kidney
- Kidney stones – a mass or “stone” made of salts and minerals in the urinary tract
- Nephrotic syndrome – a condition causing high protein levels in blood and urine
- Obstructive uropathy – when the flow of urine is blocked
- Polycystic kidney disease – a genetic disorder causing fluid filled cysts to grow in the kidneys
- Proteinuria – abnormal amounts of protein in urine
- Renal artery stenosis – the narrowing of the renal arteries, blocking blood flow to the kidneys
- Vasculitis – inflammation of the blood vessels
Expect your doctors to work closely with other members of your kidney health team. Depending on your condition and symptoms, your doctor may recommend the following treatments to meet your individual needs:
- Dialysis – treatment that helps filter waste products from the blood when the kidneys are not working properly
- Lifestyle changes such diet, exercise, tobacco & alcohol cessation