Bond with your baby and give them the nutrition they need to thrive when you choose to breastfeed. Access support, education and related services when you partner with Adventist HealthCare.
During Your Pregnancy
Before your baby is born, take advantage of classes that help you prepare to breastfeed. You’ll learn about the benefits of nursing for both moms and babies.
At the Hospital
Get help in the first hour and days after your baby is born from knowledgeable experts. Work with our certified lactation consultants, professionals who can help you gain tools to breastfeed, both while you’re in the hospital and after you go home.
Top Hospital for Breastfeeding Services
Expect high-quality care and attention because we follow international guidelines set by the World Health Organization, United Nations Children’s Fund and The Joint Commission. You and your baby will benefit from:
- Assurance your baby will be given only breast milk, unless you or your doctor directs otherwise, and will not be given pacifiers or artificial nipples
- Education about continuing to provide breast milk even when away from your baby
- Encouragement of baby-led breastfeeding, also called unrestricted breastfeeding or breastfeeding on demand, which is feeding your baby whenever they show signs of hunger
- Help starting to breastfeed within one hour of birth and the ability to room-in with your baby
- Time and tools for breastfeeding success, including referrals to lactation support groups
Feel confident we’ll honor your choice to breastfeed. Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center is the first hospital in Maryland to earn international recognition from the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) and the International Lactation Consultant Association.
Breastfeeding at Home
When you go home with your baby, we’ll connect you with breastfeeding resources. You can also continue to take part in our breastfeeding services and reach out to our compassionate staff for guidance. Learn about home health services, including breastfeeding assistance, for families with new babies.
Breastfeeding Support Groups
Take part in breastfeeding groups to connect with other new parents and get answers to your questions from experts.
Visit an Adventist HealthCare hospital to get a one-on-one assessment from a certified lactation consultant.
- Call 240-826-MOMS (6667) to schedule an appointment at Shady Grove Medical Center in Rockville, Maryland. Appointments are held in our offices on the third floor of the main hospital building.
- Call 240-826-MOMS (6667) to schedule an appointment at White Oak Medical Center in Silver Spring, Maryland. Appointments are held in our offices in the brick building next to the hospital, located at 7620 Carroll Ave, Takoma Park.
Count on us to answer your call Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Leave a message after hours and we’ll return your call as quickly as possible.