Benefit from advanced, minimally invasive technology so you can heal faster. Choose Adventist HealthCare for your interventional radiology (IR) procedure.
Reach the best outcome possible when you rely on our skilled radiologists with advanced fellowship training and special certification in IR.
What’s Interventional Radiology?
IR is also known as vascular and interventional radiology (VIR) or surgical radiology. It’s done to diagnose and/or treat health conditions. During the procedure, your radiologist will use imaging technology to guide tiny tools through small incisions to your blood vessels or another part of the body.
Benefits of IR
If your doctor says IR is right for you, it can prevent the need for traditional, or open, surgery. IR is minimally invasive, which means you’ll have a quicker recovery with less pain and risk of problems.
IR Procedures We Offer
Your doctor may recommend image-guided:
- Biopsies – Take a small sample of tissue for testing
- Chemoembolization – Treats liver tumors with a dose of chemotherapy
- Cholecystectomy – Removal of the gallbladder
- Dialysis access treatment – Provides access to your blood vessels for dialysis if you have kidney failure or disease
- Drainage – Removes fluid from an organ or abscess through chest tube placement, paracentesis or thoracentesis
- Feeding tube placement or maintenance – Places or cares for a device such as a gastrostomy tube that delivers nutrition into the stomach through the abdomen
- Kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty – Injects bone cement into the spine to help relieve back pain and/or treat a fracture (broken bone)
- Microwave ablation – Uses heat to destroy cancer cells
- Pain management – Uses injections to treat pain
- Radiofrequency ablation – Uses an electrical current to treat pain in a specific area
- Urinary tract obstruction procedures – Treat conditions, such as large kidney stones, that prevent the flow of urine
Women’s IR Services
To treat a condition that affects the female reproductive organs, you may have:
- Fallopian tube recanalization to clear blockages and treat infertility
- Vein embolization to treat pelvic pain
- Uterine fibroid embolization to shrink fibroid tumors in the uterus
Men’s IR Services
Look to Adventist HealthCare for male reproductive system IR procedures such as:
- Prostate embolization to treat symptoms like frequent or painful urination
- Varicocele embolization to treat infertility
Expert Vein Care
Find high-quality care from our vascular IR experts. Rely on Adventist HealthCare for:
- Ablation to treat varicose veins or venous insufficiency
- Placement of a venous access or device such as a chest port or catheter to make it easier to receive medications or nutrition
- Placement or removal of a permanent or temporary vascular filter, a device that helps prevent blood clots
Cardiac, Vascular & Interventional Radiology Suites
Count on our IR team to follow the latest approaches using the most advanced equipment in a modern setting. Your procedure will take place in a Cardiac, Vascular and Interventional Radiology Suite at Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center or Adventist HealthCare Washington Adventist Hospital while your loved ones wait in a comfortable space for family members and visitors.
How to Prepare
Talk to your doctor about how to get ready for an IR procedure. The way you get ready depends on the type of procedure. You may need to avoid eating or drinking anything for several hours beforehand and arrange for transportation afterward.
What to Expect
A member of our team will help to prepare you for your procedure. Certain lab work and additional testing could be needed based on your procedure. During the procedure, you may receive a sedative, a medication that helps you relax. You’ll lie on a table for the procedure, which you’ll be awake for.
How Long Will It Take?
Most IR procedures take four hours. Additional time may be needed based on your individual needs.