Speech & Language Therapy
Relearn or build skills to communicate and swallow with speech and language therapy at Adventist HealthCare.
Certified Speech-Language Pathologists
Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) have advanced training to diagnose and treat conditions that make it hard for you to talk, understand, eat or drink. Expect exceptional care at Adventist HealthCare because our SLPs are board certified. This means they’ve met the highest level of expertise in their field.
Conditions We Treat
Your care team may recommend speech and language therapy if you are 18 or older and have a condition such as:
Speech & Language Services
Benefit from a wide range of services at Adventist HealthCare.
Speech & Language Tests
Based on your condition, symptoms or other factors, your provider may recommend certain assessments, such as hearing tests.
Treatments & Tools
Receive a care plan that’s tailored to your unique needs and goals. Your plan can help you:
- Communicate your wants, needs and ideas
- Improve ability to pay attention and make choices
- Increase the strength of your voice and speak more clearly
- Keep track of people, places and time
- Maintain skills you need to live as independently as possible, including managing finances and medications
- Read and write
- Remember information
- Understand others
Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT)
If you or a loved one has a neurological condition like Parkinson’s disease, ask about LSVT. This program can help improve your speech. Turn to our experts for:
- LSVT LOUD®, which uses exercises to help you speak louder and feel more comfortable during conversations
- LSVT BIG®, which trains you to use movement to express yourself and more easily do tasks
See results after one month of weekly hour-long LSVT sessions.
Is Swallowing Therapy Right for Me?
Swallowing therapy may help if you:
- Cough, choke or feel like food is stuck in your throat after swallowing
- Drool or spit out saliva, food or liquid
- Experience aspiration pneumonia, a lung infection that happens when you breathe in food or liquid
- Have trouble chewing food or clearing it from your mouth
Benefit from innovative treatments and techniques — some of which are locally available only at Adventist HealthCare. During our Swallowing Disorder Program, your SLP may recommend:
- A nutrition plan that includes foods and liquids that are safer to swallow
- Exercises to improve mouth and throat muscle movement
- Head and neck positions to make swallowing easier
- Synchrony™ therapy, which strengthens throat muscles and uses biofeedback to show you how well you swallow during game-like activities
- Swallowing tests or X-ray scans to check for problems
- VitalStim® therapy, which uses gentle electrical stimulation to train throat muscles to work normally
Training for Family Members
Trust our compassionate therapists to help your friends, family and caregivers learn how to help build skills and continue progress at home.