Clinical Pastoral Education/Training
The Clinical Pastoral Education/Training (CPE/T) program is an interfaith, graduate level, professional education program. Theological students and religious workers of all faiths (pastors, priests, rabbis, imams, monks, and others) learn to deliver superior spiritual care under pastoral supervision.
The CPE/T is accredited by the College of Pastoral Supervision and Psychotherapy (CPSP).
Students in the Clinical Pastoral Education/Training program will have the opportunity to work alongside professional chaplains delivering excellent spiritual care in our hospitals. Elements include:
- Regular patient visitation
- Responding to crises and referrals
- Participation in interdisciplinary meetings
- Connecting patients with their own spiritual community
- Performing ceremonies, such as: anointing, baptism, or memorial services
- Staff support
Our CPE/T program is accredited to offer basic and advanced clinical pastoral education. Each unit is designed to be a minimum of 400 hours of education (at least 300 hours of clinical work and at least 100 hours of structured group/individual education) conducted under the supervision of a certified ACPE/CPSP supervisor. Currently we offer two program formats:
- Full Year CPE Residency: This 3 unit program begins in September and ends the following August.
- Intensive CPE Internship: Individual units beginning in September, January and May.
The full year Residency commitment has a stipend amount of $32,000 and includes health benefits.
- Chaplains who finish one to three units are awarded a certificate for completing the training.
- Chaplains who finish four units and successfully complete the CPE/T Residency will get a Residency Certificate, and can apply to be a professional board certified clinical chaplain.
The tuition cost per unit is $650.
How to Apply
For additional information please visit contact the Spiritual Care Department at Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center at 240-826-6112.