Clinical Pastoral Education students will have the opportunity to:
- Visit patients and their families
- Develop spiritual assessment skills
- Respond to crises
- Meet with healthcare workers in many disciplines
- Connect patients to their spiritual communities
- Assist with sacred rituals such as anointing, baptism, or memorial services for the deceased
- Participate in weeks of spiritual emphasis twice a year
- Participate in Blessing of the Hands for nurses
- Support caregivers and healthcare team members
Adventist HealthCare offers Clinical Pastoral Education in two formats:
- Intensive CPE internships run in 12- to 14-week units that are offered three times a year. The units begin in September, January and June.
- Full-Year CPE residency is a three-unit program from September to August. This program pays a stipend.
Each 12- to 14-week unit of the CPE program requires 400 hours to complete: 100 hours of group work and 300 hours of encounters with patients, their families and staff.
The tuition cost is $650 per unit, plus a materials fee of $50 (subject to change).
For additional information please visit contact the Spiritual Care Department at Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center at 240-826-6112.